Water damage to keep NSW's busiest courthouse shut 'until at least late 2025'
Share
Water damage to keep NSW's busiest courthouse shut 'until at least late 2025' | Breaking News & Latest Australia Updates
Water damage to keep NSW's busiest courthouse shut 'until at least late 2025' — By Jamie McKinnell Topic:Courts Water flowed heavily from drains on Castlereagh Street, from a burst water main.(ABC News: Berge Breiland) Sydney's Do...
By Jamie McKinnell
Topic:Courts
Water flowed heavily from drains on Castlereagh Street, from a burst water main.(ABC News: Berge Breiland)
Sydney's Downing Centre on Castlereagh Street will likely remain closed "until at least late 2025" after a burst water main flooded critical electrical and mechanical infrastructure last month.
The Department of Communities and Justice had initially estimated it would be closed for at least four weeks while repairs were undertaken.
The incident will add significantly to existing backlogs in the judicial system.
The busiest courthouse in NSW will likely remain closed "until at least late 2025" after a burst water main flooded critical electrical and mechanical infrastructure in its lower level.
The June 17 incident at Sydney's Downing Centre on Castlereagh Street caused bustling courtrooms to be plunged into darkness in the middle of court sittings.
The Department of Communities and Justice had initially estimated it would be closed for at least four weeks while repairs were undertaken.
Downing Centre Local Court will remain closed after a burst water main caused flooding.(ABC News: Jak Rowland)
But in an update, the department said electrical engineers and other experts had carried out a full inspection of the building, identifying two critical pieces of equipment — an electrical transformer and switchboard — that need replacing.
"External agencies have estimated this process will extend into late 2025, but work is ongoing to determine whether these replacements can be expedited," the department said on Wednesday.
The building is still disconnected from the electricity substation and there is no confirmation about when power will be restored.
"At this stage, the Downing Centre is likely to remain closed until at least late 2025 to ensure the building is safe and fully functional," the statement said.
"This closure period will also allow for upgrades to the Downing Centre to be brought forward, including improvements to public spaces and courtrooms."
During the closure, judicial officers are making "every effort" to minimise the impact, the department said.
Court cases that were meant to be heard in the Downing Centre have been shifted to nearby available spaces, including the John Maddison Tower, Central Court, King Street Court and Darlinghurst Court.
"Work is also underway to secure more permanent locations for jury assembly, and Heads of Jurisdiction continue to work closely with the Department of Communities and Justice to facilitate access to justice."
Court sittings had just started for the day when the lights went out in the Downing Centre.(ABC News: Ethan Rix)
The incident will add significantly to existing backlogs in the judicial system, with the Law Society of NSW previously predicting a "huge domino effect".
President Jennifer Ball previously told the ABC the disruption would be "quite enormous", describing the building as the "heartbeat of judicial access" for scores of people in the state.
But Ms Ball said the courts have done their best to continue hearing matters.
For the District Court, that has involved priority being placed on proceedings of some age where the defendant is in custody.
But it would inevitably lead to some part-heard trials being aborted, according to the chief judge.
Topic:Child Care
Topic:Pharmaceuticals
LIVE
BREAKING
Analysis by Annabel Crabb
Topic:Courts
Topic:Courts
Courts
Justice System
Sydney
Topic:Child Care
Topic:Pharmaceuticals
Topic:Government and Politics
Topic:Cyber Crime
Analysis by Annabel Crabb
Topic:Courts
BREAKING
Topic:State of Origin
Topic:Marine Biology